Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I was listening to this song (see first blog entry) while preparing for my mid-rags, and I was caught off guard: why does God want men who are “angry”? I cringed and thought of the connotations of this revelation. I had listened to this song for a couple years now, and I had always wondered why he wanted upset people as his disciples. Of course, my perception of God was not as it is now, which is still not very much, so I will give my former self leeway.

A couple years ago, I dated a guy who told me he angered rarely, and he held pretty strictly to his word. I thought that was wonderful, with the naïve idea that because of his lack of anger, we would never fight.

Maybe that was the problem.

I was not out looking to get into a fight; but I did notice that he never let stories or knowledge of sorrow, pain, or wickedness affect him. He had a deficiency in compassion for other people in the world, Christian or not. My attempts of persuading him to stand for something, to take a part in anything, failed miserably. Instead of dealing with temper, I was left with something much harder to fight and face: indifference.

I discovered that what I had the most trouble dealing with was a person that put on the appearance of caring, but did not actually care enough to act. In a wider outlook, I should not have been surprised that I found indifference in place of anger. My generation is already stereotyped as the “Why?” generation, wondering what to care about and what benefit we get from doing anything. An over abundance of sloth does not leave room for citizens, especially men, to become compassionate, active members of a community. “Does it truly matter whether or not I play Super Smash Brothers for an extra hour? Doesn’t God tell us that we shouldn’t judge others? Why get upset over someone else’s sin or tragedy if I am not affected by it?”

God wants anger toward sin. Christians constantly flee from being upset at other people’s sinful actions, turning away with thinking that as long as they are not personally affected, then they should “let it go.” But wait, sin has not changed; why have we? God portrays great wrath toward sin; does he not tell us to also hate sin? And with that, because people are known through their behaviors and not their words, why do we sit there scared to be controversial, to stand up for the truth? If there is anything that Christians should flee, it is a lack of compassion for the weak and indifference towards sin and wickedness.

No comments: